Video game isn’t just about putting together random pictures and animating them with the help of advanced equipment. Every game needs to have synergy that is unique to it and differentiates it from rest of the market offerings. Naturally, it takes a lot of time, effort and technical skills to develop this synergy. Video game design studios do a lot of research to come up with the best video game character design. You also need a refined sense of art to add life to the video game. In simple words, video game is the result of combined efforts of individuals with different expertise.
Every video game design follows a specific sequence:
- create a basic idea around which the game revolves
- make rough sketches of the ‘world’ in which the game will be played, the main characters and the action involved
- expand on the basic game sketch, taking even the minutest details into consideration
- select the best concepts and shape them to form a design document, which is similar to a movie script
A unique idea or concept lays the foundation of a video game. It gives the team a story to start the design with. In this phase, the team sits together and brainstorms different concepts. One idea needs to be carefully selected from all the options available. After an idea is selected, the goal of the game has to be developed around this idea. At this point, the team needs to discuss the roles of different characters. It also needs to identify ways to achieve the established goals.
It isn’t always possible to come up with the best ideas for a video game. If the team is stuck and cannot think of anything exciting, there are several things that can help. For instance, the team can study other games. While it isn’t advisable to copy the ideas of other games, however, the team can always build upon an existing idea or adopt it from a different perspective. Another option is to get video game ideas from movies. The team can review different sci-fi movies and try to develop ideas after studying different movie themes. It is important to seek permission in the event that a movie’s story or characters are adopted. Video game concepts can also be taken from sports such as hockey and football to create innovated versions of the game.
The next step involves creating story of the game. It is important to create a series of drawings to show the goals and scenes. The drawings explain how the game story unfolds as it progresses from one level to another.
Video Game Character Design
After the story is created, it is time to design the video game character. This includes the main character as well as others that will play a side role in the game. This is a complex stage where even the minutest details need to be considered. Unless every bit of detail has been listed, it is not possible to proceed with the video game creation.
At this stage, you must define the complete structure of the game. Some points you must consider are as follows:
- What are the capabilities of the character? Can it kick, box, jump or perhaps fly?
- What is the main character’s personality?
- Who are the enemies? Why is the hero fighting them?
- What weapons/tactics are available to the hero?
- What are the means to sustaining/rejuvenating the hero when it is stressed and/or weak?
- Does the game support multi-players? How does the game proceed in different game modes?
- How will users view the game (top view, first-person view, side view or 3-D view)?
- What are the sound tracks that will go with the game?
These are only some of the details that are to be considered in the video game character design phase. It is important to consider even the minutest of details because the game world will not be functional until everything is sorted out.
After the video game character design, the next step is to create the design document. The objective is to record all the ideas in a movie like format. This is useful because you can review the entire scope of the game quickly and make changes as and when required. Using the design document, the team creates the solid game. It is only natural to make some more changes in the game world during the transition from design document to the real game.
Incoming search terms:
- video game character design
- how to design a video game character
- Create a Video Game Character
- create a vidio game character
- what job creates the characters of video games
- how to design a character
- creating a video game story
- video games character design
- video game character designer information
- how to make video game characters real